Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Vasodilators in Food

In keeping with the intent of this blog, I am recording my latest insight into my rosacea triggers. I have been following the low vitamin e diet closely for the past 2 1/2 months with great success. This past week, I decided to treat myself to some watermelon. Now in my mind, watermelon's primary ingredient is water, so it will keep me well hydrated in this vast desert, so the more I eat the better! Right? Wrong! I tackled that full-sized melon in 24 hours flat! However, the consequences were immediately apparent. I suffered from an outbreak of papules and pustules (only 3 or 4, but after 2 1/2 months of none, it was a disappointment). I began to research what could have gone wrong and discovered that an entire watermelon does have over 4 mg of vitamin e (gasp!) and that watermelon also contains high levels of citrulline which convert to nitric oxide which is a vasodilator - so keep away!

Citrulline in Watermelon

No comments:

Post a Comment