Sunday, January 3, 2016

One Hour Spaghetti Sauce

I have been using sauce from a jar for several years now, but on New Year's Eve, my very busy friend pulled out some leftover homemade marinara sauce for the mozzarella sticks. I was flabbergasted that she made her own sauce, being as busy as she is. I subconsciously resolved to make my own spaghetti sauce, so I followed her advice, found a recipe with tomato paste and amped it up even more. I know it isn't low FODMAP, but it is something a crave every once in a while. This recipe was adapted from the Kitchen Konfidence website.

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Pinch of red pepper flake, or to taste
  • 3 14.5 oz. cans stewed tomato (I used Kirkland Organic)
  • 2 6 oz. can tomato paste (I used Kirkland Organic)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 1/2 pounds cooked brown rice spaghetti, for serving

  •  
    Instructions
    1. Warm olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Once you see the oil shimmering, add the chopped onion and sauté for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic and pinch of red pepper flake then continue to sauté until onions are soft and translucent, stirring occasionally.
    2. Add stewed tomato, tomato paste, oregano, basil, parsley, sugar, a few pinches of kosher salt and several turns of freshly ground black pepper, stirring to combine. Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat to low then simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour.
    3. Serve with pasta!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment