Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Erythromycin

I visited my dermatologist two weeks ago - annual trip due to family history of melanoma. Of course, we talked briefly about the rosacea. He suggested I try erythromycin and I finally caved in to the ANTIBIOTIC route. I had previously tried Oracea for about a week and my rosacea was worse for the wear, so trying another antibiotic was a BIG DEAL for me. I was somewhat surprised that it worked at clearing up a couple papules/pustules right away. (For anyone who doesn't have rosacea, I apologize for the graphic content. For us rosaceans, papules and pustules are just our way of life!) However, after two weeks - voila! - p & ps are back again. So if rosacea is an inflammatory condition, the erythromycin is a short-lived solution . . .

1 comment:

  1. I agree after many erythromycin trials over the years. Initially, the skin seems better...for me there were fewer breakouts but then it didn't seem to last. The Oracea was SO expensive so my trial was short, but I noticed less redness.
    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete